Hey, look at that, the thing is starting to get off the ground - previews, a new website, CJ going and pimping the book... wow. I better do something, I guess, so here is a page from beginning to end.
I start out with a script, which might look like this:






PAGE SIX (5 panels)


Panel 1: Cluttered one room apartment. Bed unmade,
Clothes on the floor, empty whiskey bottles, cigarette
butts, and empty Chinese food cartons. In the middle
of this mess is Brian Brennen. He’s sitting at a table
with a ham radio set and headphones on. A cigarette
juts out of his mouth. He looks unwashed, unshaved,
burned-out.

Radio: Heeellooo from Amsterdam (fade)…Hola! Tu
es… (fade)...all with jumper cables..(fade)


Panel 2: Different angle. We see Brian turning the
tuning dial. Also on the table is his Gentri-Mart
Manager’s name tag and vest and a picture of Brian
in DHS uniform.

SFX: Phone rings


Panel 3: Brian ignores phone and keeps tuning radio.

Radio: 11,86,23,23 Et in Arcadia ego.

SFX: Phone rings


Panel 4: Brian looks shocked.

SFX: Phone rings


Panel 5: Brian reaches out and answers the phone.

Brian: Hello? Ok. I’ll meet you there.

Radio: Be careful out there.



So then I rough out what I think the page should look like, which I wanted to include. However I can't find the rough for page six, which is the one I decided to do tonight, so I'm going to skip this step. Suffice it to say, it's very rough (ah, what the hell, here's page 10's rough/layout):

Then I like to take photo ref, to get the right poses for the characters and the light source, if I have time:

Then I draw it on a piece of 11 x 17 bristol board (I buy 11x14 inch Strathmore 3ply smooth pads and cut them to size. Which is why my originals look like shit...):

Then I ink and scan and letter that sucker. I usually do my panel borders in photoshop too, since I like how clean they end up:

And that's it. See? Even a monkey could do it...

blue skies,
Shawn

No comments: